Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Why aren't personal goals fun?

Why isn't chasing personal goals as much as fun playing games?
After all, every game I play also has some end goal attached to it. Be it tetris: to get the all the tiny pieces aligned in a sequence or cricket: to score maximum runs without getting out or football: to hit the ball past the players into the "goalpost", i.e. to score a "goal".

OK, so every game does have some goal(s). Then the next logical question is:
Why do I enjoy trying to achieve those silly goals in games which have no real impact on my life, but hate chasing personal goals that could potentially turn my entire life around!
Very strange indeed, especially if you consider the fact that I lose at games all the time! Maybe, it's because when playing games, I don't really care if I win or loose. I'm having fun either way and that's what counts. On the other hand when it comes to personal goals, I'm obsessed about reaching my goals. My entire effort would be a waste of time if I don't get there. I don't want to have to anything to do with the journey. I just want to get to my goals FAST!

So rephrasing my earlier question,
Can chasing personal goals be fun?
I guess it can be, as long as I can make the journey in itself enjoyable. In that case, even if I fail miserably(and in the case of this blog publicly!), at least I would have had some fun along the way :)

1 comment:

  1. So far, the best post in my reader today. :)

    THe dynamics of defeat are really interesting. However, all you need is one episode where you realize that it's ok to fail. There's nothing wrong as long as you learn and make sure that you strive in never repeating mistakes.

    here's to making personal goals fun.

    ReplyDelete