Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2010

2nd Run Of the Year

For anybody tired of reading running update posts, please rest assured that  I don't plan to write a post every time I run. However, I do plan to share my thoughts on running as I go along this journey. Today's run was my longest so far, 3km.

One thing that I've realized about myself, is that whenever I get into the speed/time mode of running, i.e. "how fast did I run", "how much time did I take for my run" , I only end up demotivating myself. To avoid this, I'm making an effort to focus on the distance instead. I try to set a distance target before I start my run and do my best to hit it, I don't care if I end up walking some of it. Without the pressure to meet any time or pace goals, I find that I enjoy my run more. This way, anytime I start feeling stretched, I just slow down, and whenever I feel like picking up the pace a little, I do just that.

I hope this focus on distance makes me want to run longer and more often. With another 995 km to go, the only way I'm going to get there is if I enjoy the journey.

1 comment: